So I did the Spartan Sprint on Saturday. It was a blast but my conditioning was just not there. A factor in that might be that I sold a pint of blood within 2 weeks of the race. Apparently it takes 6 weeks for the average person to recover that much. On the other hand, I don’t do a ton of very long distance running on hilly areas. This was up dirt trails and steep paths for long distances. I did better on the obstacles than I thought I would but I kept having to take a knee to catch my breath.
Now it’s Wednesday and I’m still feeling a bit of soreness so I started looking up the best ways to recover from muscle soreness and found a few that are easy to do.
Proper sleep allows your body to heal better. Lack of sleep also results in worse recovery so you need to go to bed on time!
Stretching your muscles after a workout improves circulation, allowing the nutrients to flow over your muscles and hasten the healing.
Staying hydrated also works with your circulation, compounding with the stretching to help you heal quicker.
To keep you healing well, massages also improve circulation and reduce tightness in your muscles (like stretching!).
Overall, I’m not very satisfied with my performance and now I want to train more for longer distances over crazier terrain. Maybe look into a water pack because I was dying of thirst the whole time. I’ll probably be doing more long distance running too, taking on some 5ks this coming year and a half marathon too! It’ll be a blast!
Have fun, furries!
So, following up on all the con fun I had over the weekend, I wanted to present a few things I learned as I ran around in my fursuit to maximize fun!
- Shower BEFORE and AFTER you fursuit! You’re going to sweat. If you shower before you suit up, you’ll sweat but be much less gross in your fursuit. If you take a cool shower before hand, you can cool yourself down a bit before getting all hot in your suit too! After you suit, clean yourself up and spray down your suit and hang it up to dry. This will help you maintain your suit and prevent it from getting icky during the con!
- I splurged a while back and got the EZ Cool Vest to wear under my fursuit and over my underarmor. It definitely helped. I’d wander around in my suit and could feel the coolness of the gel packs and they chilled out pretty darn fast after tossing them into the hotel sink and dumping ice over them. I recommend getting something like that to keep yourself cool.
- Hydrate like crazy. If you feel yourself cooling down pretty quick and then put on the fursuit to almost immediately overheat. Your body is having trouble regulating your body temp because you’re dehydrated! So drink a bit before suiting and then drink a lot after suiting.
- Work your cardio before a con. Cardio exercise improves your stamina in suit so you can suit even longer! Your overall fitness will determine how well you do in fullsuit.
- Want some photos taken of you? Find a high-traffic spot and stand around! If you’re wandering the con the entire time, people will often assume you’re too busy for them to want to stop you and ask. So find a nice spot and hang out, look cute, and wave to anyone who looks over at you. Another way is to do something fun to perform in front of everyone but, especially for high levels of activity, that might tucker you out. I got way more photos just hanging outside the AZFC dealer’s den than I did at any other point in the con!
So those are my quick notes on fursuiting and making the most of your hot adventure! Good luck, fuzzbutts!